Most selling platforms and many carts allow the online seller to enter product weight and even item dimensions for each product they sell. The advantage being the specified weights/dimensions then download as part of the Order detail to most shipping software. This saves weighing products and packages one by one before selecting a carrier and service for shipping.
However, in many cases, this level of detail is not available or the feature was added after a large product catalog already existed. In addition, some sellers prefer precise weights applied to every shipment and the more laborious – though more accurate – weighing of each package before getting a rate quote. This workflow assumes the seller will weigh orders one by one before shipping.
Shipping process flowchart
Here’s the end-to-end process for a more advanced scenario, where product weight and dimensions are not included in the product data feed from the selling platform(s), thus requiring that each order be weighed after packing:
Related Articles & Resources
- Shipping process flowchart: advanced process with weight in selling platform
- Shipping process flowchart: basic without shipping solution
- Shipping process flowchart: basic with shipping solution
- Shipping process flowchart: daily deals
- Shipping process flowchart: returns
- Order processing and fulfillment
- Picking and packing eCommerce orders
This article is from The Definitive Guide to eCommerce Shipping