ShippingEasy has you covered with an automated returns process.
There are two types of returns you should be familiar with prior to tackling holiday returns: prepaid and scan-based returns.
Some businesses don’t like to include return labels in every shipment. The best thing to do is assess your rate of returns/return policy and determine whether you want to include scan-based return labels in every package, or provide prepaid return labels upon request.
Ad-hoc Prepaid Returns – buy as you need
- Don’t waste labels – we email your customer the return label directly so you don’t have to! You do NOT need to save the PDF and then attach to an email. We can do all of that automatically. Simply elect to do this in your settings on a store by store basis (if you have more than one) and we’ll take care of the rest.
- If the return requires a replacement, your customer can begin the returns process resulting in a quicker turnaround/resolution time
- Receive a heads up from customers that they are returning an item instead of having items just show up at your warehouse
WITH AN EXISTING ORDER – Here’s how you do it:
Start by finding the original shipment in your Shipment History or via the Global Search bar.
Once you find the order, use the Label Actions to select Prepaid Returns from wherever you are in the App.
After you purchase the label, we email the PDF directly to your customer! You can also print it off and send it with a replacement shipment.
If a customer needs to return an item but there is not a corresponding order in ShippingEasy, you can still use a Pre-paid Return Label.
Here’s how you do it:
Use Quick Ship from the top level navigation: select Return Label. Now just enter the shipment details, specifying *any* Customer Address and have it ship back to your choice of Store Address.
Scan-based Returns – don’t pay UNLESS and UNTIL it is used
Between communication with the customer, getting them the label, and receiving the returned package, returns can be time consuming! With scan-based returns, returns are painless for you and your customer. You will not be charged for a scan-based return label until it has been scanned in by the carrier – the opposite of prepaid. You can choose to print a scan-based return label with orders on a case-by-case basis or set up a rule to automatically generate one with every shipments.
- Customers don’t have to wait on anyone to return a package. During the holidays, it’s easy to get backed up. This frees up your time to focus on other aspects of your business and your customer can avoid any frustration.
- If the label is never used, you are never charged. The scan-based return label is an easy way to avoid wasted label costs.
Here’s how you do it:
To enable scan-based returns on your ShippingEasy account, begin by contacting Endicia to enable your accounts for “Pay-on-Use” returns. Once it has been turned on for your account, you will see “Return Options” on your Ready to Ship. For a step-by-step tutorial on manual and automated scan-based return labels, click here.
Ship from one address – send returns to another
Now that we have discussed the two types of returns, it’s important to make sure your account is set up properly. If your shipping and return facilities are in different locations, you’ll want to set up an alternate zip code for your domestic USPS shipments. This ensures that the correct zip code is used for calculating the outbound postage costs. Your return address will show where the shipments need to be returned – in the case of non-delivery or returns. If your return address is the same as your ship from location, this is a step you don’t need to worry about.
The finishing touch: customize your return label email
Customized return label emails can be the perfect way to personalize the buyer’s holiday experience. This is a great way to remind your customers of your company’s return policy and increase your brand visibility. If you have a recipient returning a gift, it may be the perfect opportunity to acquire a new customer if they purchase something else on your site. Store credits can ensure a customer who may have never visited your site will use the credit to purchase something they need/want.
Additional Helpful Resources: